Ian has over 26 years of experience in the Pharmaceutical and Medical Device sector. With a proven track record in Consulting for the last 12 years, Ian has extensive knowledge in all areas of product development, manufacturing processes, business development and worldwide regulatory requirements that supports his focused insight and leadership for multi-disciplinary teams of Health Care Projects.
Ian studied mechanical engineering at Southampton Solent University and after working for a number of the Southampton University engineering research departments, began his pharmaceutical career developing microwave processing techniques and then all methods of product development and manufacturing process technologies. Moving across to commercialization, he acted as the strategic technologies advisor for the startup of a new business division in the USA and on return to the UK took up the management of the process/engineering and commercial contracts groups of GEAs pharmaceutical division until he returned to the USA as Business Director for Atlantic Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Ian has supported CMC formulation development through commercial production, working for large multi-nationals such as GSK, GEA, and Pfizer as well as small venture-supported companies entering the healthcare sector. He has successfully developed commercial international teams and negotiated product licenses and contracts globally, especially throughout Europe, Asia and the Middle East
Ian has presented and published internationally on a variety of processing methodologies and is (or was) a member of the IChemE, ISPE, LES, and AAPS – for which he has served on the ‘Solid Oral Dosage Forms’ conference organizing committee.
Ian lives in Columbia MD USA with his wife and family.
Examples of projects completed:
- Due Diligence support new pharmaceutical products, including the Project Management of tech transfers to new manufacturing sites
- Managed scale-up and troubleshooting during clinical trials/regulatory batch production. Blending/Granulation/Drying
- Review methodology, support process trials and tech transfer. Suspension/Bead Milling
- Produced URS and led design for new small scale FBD (1 to 3kg). Goal was to achieve a cGMP, easily cleanable design, preventing any cross contamination between processes allowing unit to be used for clinical. Managed and coordinated project with Vendor.
- Reviewed facilities and produced equipment rationalization paper for mixing, granulating and FBD processing WW.
- Designed and Produced development blender for process understanding and improved performance over conventional systems
- Engineering Design and Project Management for development and purchase of Continuous Granulator and Drying system